Rankin UMC celebrates 100 years of ministry
Ninety members and guests enjoyed the Centennial Celebration of the Rankin United Methodist Church July 22. The original church building burned on Dec. 31, 1911, and in November 1912, the new building was dedicated.
Iroquois River District Superintendent Rev. In-Sook Hwang gave the message during the morning worship service, after which everyone enjoyed an old fashioned potluck dinner with homemade ice cream. Many guests participated in a cake walk and, although it was a very hot day, some played croquet (after all, they didn’t have air conditioning in 1912!)
Some members dressed in fashions of 1912 and there was a display of documents and photographs from the past 100 years in the life of the church. Items were also collected to put into a time capsule. The dinner was held in the new fellowship hall built in 2006.