Alternative Advanced Courses
Each Annual Conference may approve additional classes for its own use. Alternative Advanced Courses fit these guidelines:
- The subject is in line with courses currently in the Lay Servant Ministries catalog.
- The content fits the theme of leading, caring and communicating.
- The course will benefit the lay servant for use in the local church.
- The course must provide at least 10 hours of study.
- The course is participatory and led by a facilitator qualified in the subject.
Please note--To receive continuing education credit for an Alternative Advanced Course, you must:
- Contact your District Director(s) of Lay Servant Ministries PRIOR to attending the event for approval and to obtain the required Continuing Education Form.
- Take the Continuing Education Form to the event and obtain the instructor's signature at the end.
- Upon completion of the course and your portion of the form, return the completed form to your District Director to receive credit.
NOTE: An alternative advanced course may only be used every other time for continuing education credit.
Prior permission is NOT required to take a regular Advanced Course outside of your home District.
Title: Walking with Jesus in the Wesleyan Spirit
Dates: Sept. 23-24, 2016; Nov. 12, 2016; Jan. 21, 2017; and Mar. 18, 2017 (all four sessions required)
Times: Sept. 23, 7:00-8:30 pm; all other dates, 9:00 am-4:45 pm
Location: Tuscola UMC, 901 N. Prairie, St.
Cost: Early registration (before Aug. 15), $199; regular registration, $249. Registration includes lunch on Saturdays, snacks, and book
Registration Deadline: Sept. 16, 2016
Facilitators: Rev. Tom Albin, Rev. Thomas Logsdon, and Rev. Steven Manskar
Contact: Beth Fender, firstname.lastname@example.org or Jana Waite, email@example.com
Online registration at https://igrc-reg.brtapp.com/WWJ16-17
Sponsored by New Streams Team
Course of Study Extension School Modules
Lay Servants may audit any of the Weekend Part-time Local Pastor Course of Study (Extension School) modules held at the United Methodist Center. For more information go to the Extension School web site at http://www.igrcos.com and contact Director,
Rev. Kenneth Hutchens or by phone at 217-390-1566.
You will also need to contact your District Director of Lay Servant Ministries for approval and required attendance form (a link to their e-mail address can be found on the main Lay Servant Ministries page).
Please note--this option requires a larger time and financial commitment than traditional Lay Servant Ministries courses.