Reducing your prescription drug costs
Ways to Reduce your Prescriptions Drug Costs
1. Switch from Name Brand Drugs to Generics
· Be sure to talk with your doctor before changing any medications!
2. Increase the Dosage and Cut the Medication in one-half
· For example, if you are taking 50 mg of a medication, see if the doctor will write a script for 100 mg tablets and have you cut them in half. This will decrease your co-pays in half.
· This will not work for all medications. Be sure to check with your doctor first!
3. $4 Generics and Pharmacy Discounts
· Check with your pharmacy to see if any of your drugs are offered on their discount lists. Many large pharmacies continue to expand their listings. Examples are Wal-Mart, Kroger, K-Mart, SAMS, and others.
· There may be a small membership fee.
· The cost of these drugs are outside of your Part D plan and the cost will NOT apply towards the donut hole and catastrophic levels.
· Ask if there is any other discounts during the gap based on arrangements your Part D plan may have made with the pharmacy.
Places to Contact for Assistance with your Prescription Drug Costs
1. Illinois CaresRX
· This is a state subsidy available to Illinois residents that qualify
· Works with Part D plans to lower co-pays, and covers 75% in the gap and pays for the premium cost.
· For those who qualify they can switch to one of the selected drug plans midyear as soon as the state approves the application and switching plans.
· The SHAP program can assist with the applications
· To qualify, must meet the following:
o Be enrolled in Medicare
o Current Illinois resident
o Annual Income Levels (including all income)
§ Singles - $21,780
§ Married - $29,420
o Assets are NOT counted
2. Pharmaceutical Manufacturer
· Many drug manufacturer have programs to discount or cover the cost of medications for those within a certain income level
· Contact the Pharmaceutical Manufacturer to request any information
3. If you are a veteran, contact the VA
· If you served in the military, you may qualify for significant reduction. Contact the VA for details and qualifications.
4. Patriot Prescriptions
· Located in Normal, IL
· Provides 20% - 80% discount on many drugs manufactured in the USA through Canadian pharmacies.
· Provides personalized service to people anywhere
· Contact information:
15 Susan Dr
5. Bureau of Prescription Health
· Service which seeks low or no cost drugs from drug manufacturers during the donut hole
· Income qualifications are higher than normal
· Contact Information:
6. Prescription Assistance and Discount Programs Chart
· Ten internet sites provide a variety of information sources
· Some are discount programs, others provide drugs from pharmaceutical manufacturers as no cost for those who qualify
· For a copy of the chart, contact Illinois SHIP at 800-548-9034
7. Preachers’ Aid Society and Benefit Fund
· PASBF has budgeted money to assist those whose drug costs have caused a hardship
· One of the questions on the application is if you have tried other methods to reduce your drug costs
Applications can be found at www.pasbf.org
or by calling 217-529-3221