||The records contain minute books of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society and an auxillary society, Daughters of the Covenant. Also included are yearly program calendars and a few treasurer's books that list membership names with attendance noted. Minutes are handwritten in various types of books and give brief, sometime more detailed, accounts of the meetings and service projects the women supported.
||The earliest known ladies society of Rock Island First organized in 1843, called the Ladies Sewing Society. The group formed to sew items to sell to raise money for the church. The group somewhat dissolved after 1848 but reorganized in 1877, continuing their sewing work to financially aid the church.
In 1870 the women had organized an additional society chartered under the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society under the Northwestern Branch of the national organization. This society united to financially assist in sending women into missionary fields overseas. In 1900, this auxillary hoted the annual Northwestern Branch meeting and again in 1936. An auxillary of the WFMS were the Daughters of the Covenant, formed with younger women.
The Woman's Home Missionary Society began in 1883 to support mission-type work at home. The first project they supported was 2 children in a school in Arkansas as part of the Freedmen's Aid Society.
Rock Island First merged with Rock Island Memorial
Heights and the merged congregation is named Two Rivers.
||Rock Island First Missionary Societies
||Open Church Records
|Dates of Accumulation
|Level of description
||Rock Island First/WFMS/WHMS/
||Women's Missionary Societies Records