One million reasons to tee-it-up for Africa University
By Beverly Wilkes-Null
Africa University Committee Chair
The Dream is Alive.
You are the reason that ‘The Dream is Alive’. As our friend Mr. Jim Salley, reminds us, “The Illinois Great Rivers Conference is in the DNA of Africa University.”
Have you ever considered the fact that in our lifetime we can go back generations and discover our ancestors through the simple process of DNA testing? God is amazing. Think for a moment, years from now, beyond our lifetime our story as the Illinois Great Rivers Conference will continue to be interwoven into the history and legacy of the continent of Africa because our DNA has been engrafted into the lives of students from twenty-three different African countries. ‘Making Dreams Possible’ and keeping ‘The Dream Alive’ by raising $1 million that will provide scholarships into perpetuity is part of the definitive cultural context of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference.
Our relationship with Africa University is nothing less than an expression of our faithfulness to God that is making a magnanimous difference. Our DNA as a Conference with missionary zeal propels us to contribute a portion of ourselves and our resources in faith trusting that God will take the little that we have and multiply it exponentially to yield an increase.
The Fifth Annual Bishops' Open will be Friday, April 22, at the Edgewood Golf Club in Auburn, just minutes south of Springfield.
The Bishop’s Open offers you many ways to touch the lives that enter the corridors of Africa University:
- Pray for Africa University
- Bring a Foursome for an Awesome Day of Fun
- Be a Recruiter. We need 144 golfers and you can pass the word around
- Register early as an individual and we will help you to find three new friends
- If you are not a golfer, volunteer for a shift or for the whole day
- Donate gifts that can be auctioned off to benefit this endowment
If golf is not your thing and you cannot imagine spending the day at the golf course there are many ways for you to be included:
- Help your local congregation to complete its ‘Making Dreams Possible’ Pledge
- Be a Hole Sponsor, sponsorships are available and are recognized as follows:
- $100 for a 24" x 18" sign
- $500 for a 24" x 24" sign
- $1,000 for a 24" x 36" sign
- Finally, you can just write a check for any amount. Make your check payable to: IGRC with notation “6980 – Africa University Making Dreams Possible” and mail it to Bishop’s Open, UM Foundation, P.O. Box 3487, Springfield, IL 62708
If you are looking for a way to leave a God-size imprint on the world then I invite you to prayerfully consider joining hands and hearts with us on and off of the links for this great adventure.
For more information, contact: Ted Frost, Director of The United Methodist Foundation, 217-529-3217 or email@example.com