New York City 2014
New York City Seminar 2014 is an opportunity for older high school youth to visit the hub of international diplomacy and most populous city in the United States.
The New York Seminar Program is sponsored by United Methodist Women and this year will explore the dynamics of violence as evidenced in everything from bullying to human trafficking and sexual exploitation. The seminar’s goal is not only to educate, but also to equip young people to be transformers of the world in which they live.
In addition to the United Methodist Women seminar, the youth will explore the “must-sees” of New York City. Here are a few attractions on our itinerary:
- The United Nations Headquarters
- The 9/11 Memorial
- Wall Street
- Trinity Cathedral
- St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- Christ United Methodist Church
- Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Promenade
- Fourth of July fireworks over the Hudson River
- Times Square
- Central Park
- Empire State Building
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Ellis Island – Statue of Liberty
- Chinatown and Little Italy
The group will travel by charter bus, departing from the United Methodist Center in Springfield, IL, on Friday, June 27, at 5 p.m. and returning to the Center on Sunday, July 6.
The group will be staying in dormitory type rooms at Hostelling International in Manhattan, just two blocks from Central Park. Public transportation will be the chief way of getting around, and participants can expect a fair amount of walking.
Beyond paying the registration fee, participants will also need to pay for their lunches on touring days, dinner prior to leaving New York City on Saturday, additional snacks, optional activities, and souvenirs. Church Mutual provides a secondary insurance for all participants.
- Youth participants must be 16 - 18 years of age, or entering their junior or senior year of high school or first year of college.
- All participants must submit three references.
- Any participants age 18 or over must pass an IGRC-initiated background check.
Download a Registration Form or request a registration form from the camping office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-529-3007. Initially registration will be limited to 10 females and 10 males. Additional space may be made for those on the waiting list if there is enough interest to warrant reserving an additional dormitory room.
- $300 deposit due on Jan. 15 (non-refundable)
- $300 installment due on April 15
- Balance due on June 15
Please phone Rev. Alice Shirley at 217-529-2646 or email email@example.com if:
- You need more information
- You need financial aid
- You would like to serve as an adult chaperone