Greenwood UMC celebrates 165 years of ministry
By Marty Hargraves
MULKEYTOWN – The Greenwood UMC celebrated 165 years of service on Sept. 26.
The 2010 Homecoming celebration with current pastor, Rev. Jean Webster, officiating . A noon meal followed by an afternoon service with former Greenwood pastor Mike Sanders preaching and special music was provided by Beaucoup Creek.
The Greenwood Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. Braxton Parrish at the home of Carter Greenwood in 1845. Rev. Parrish and other pioneer preachers preached when opportunity afforded.
Starting in 1857, services were often held in brush arbors on the Jefferson Greenwood farm. Those attending would also construct log buildings to live in for several weeks at a time during the protracted camp meetings, the last being held in 1860.
In 1868, the first church building was built on the present site. The second was built in 1900 and dedicated by Rev. John F. Harmond. The present church building was built and dedicated by District Superintendent C. H. Hall on Aug. 8, 1938.