Church Council Chair
An effective chairperson provides initiative, coordination, and collaborative leadership for the congregational group that does planning, goal setting, implementation, and evaluation of ministry to fulfill the mission and vision of the congregation (2016 Book of Discipline, paragraph 252).
- This leader meets and works with the pastor, lay leader, and others to fulfill the mission of the church.
- The leadership team chair, along with the pastor and lay leader, are the primary spokespersons for the vision and mission of the church and encourage all other ministry leaders.
- This person should organize an annual planning meeting for church vision and ministry goals.
- This person should become familiar with United Methodist resources and organization.
- During the year, this leader prepares and communicates the agenda for meetings, leads the meetings, follows up actions by assigning responsibility for implementation, coordinates the activities of the leadership team, and maintains a healthy and growing spiritual life.
For additional information and suggestions, click here.
Here are the following videos for Church Council Chair training: