JOB TITLE: Program Specialist
REPORTS TO: Facilities Manager
DEPARTMENT: Connectional Ministries – Camping & Retreat Ministries
STATUS: full time
The mission of the Illinois Great Rivers Camping and Retreat Ministries is to connect People, Nature, and Christ.
Little Grassy Camp will…
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- be an intentional place apart from the world.
- extend genuine Christian hospitality and community.
- nurture Christian faith and discipleship.
- develop Christian spiritual leaders.
- teach creation care and appreciation.
- collaborate with United Methodist churches and agencies.
- Schedule, program, and lead events at LG, in local churches, or scheduled destinations with the primary intent to connect people, nature, and Christ through outdoor spiritual formation and education experiences.
- Create program schedules, content, and workflow to ensure the needs of campers and guests are covered with excellence.
- Manage inventory and ordering of program supplies.
- Cleans up after programming. This includes, but is not limited to, sweeping, mopping, cleaning, and sanitizing equipment and spaces used, etc.
- Collaborate with facility manager about guest groups and summer camp schedules.
- Fulfill the annual programmatic expectations of Fish and Wildlife regarding programming
- Develop off site adventure programming to target young adults with turnkey events
- Develop work/mission camp model to be based out of LG, and or in collaboration with area non-profit partners. Focus opportunities to serve college students, and church groups headed to the mission field. Equip participants in cross-cultural education, and with emotional and physical skills to accomplish their mission.
2. Host Guests and extend hospitality
· Collaborate with the LG team to ensure the site and facilities are in an attractive, clean, safe, well-maintained condition to welcome guests.
· Clean & prepare facilities for campers and guest groups as assigned.
- Greet arriving guests and serve them throughout their stay as assigned.
- Communicate maintenance, repair, and set up needs with facilities manager.
- Recruit, interview, hire & train summer staff (volunteer and paid)
- Design summer camp program curriculum to include Christian Education, Outdoor & environmental education and group building elements
4.Business / Ministry Development
- Build relationships with local churches, districts, schools, and interest groups such as the Scouts, 4-H Clubs etc. with the intent to build relationships that lead to increased usership, volunteerism, and collaboration at Little Grassy
5. Actively contribute to and support the leadership team of Little Grassy.
· Attend and participate in regular team meetings.
· Support and encourage fellow team members.
· Through collaboration and honest conversation, seek to minimize disagreements that may arise.
· Maintain open, healthy, and helpful dialogue with other team members and maintain robust lines of communication.
· Keep the mission and vision as the team priority and help fellow members stay accountable to these priorities as well.
6. Adhere to IGRC’s Personnel Policy and Appendices 1 & 2 and other
personnel/operational policies of the IGRC and Camping & Retreat Ministries.
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Support for the vision, mission, and core values of the Illinois Great Rivers
Conference of The United Methodist Church.
2. Mature adult with a deep Christian faith consistent with the United Methodist Church.
3. Energy and passion for camping and retreat ministry in the outdoors.
4. Willingness to follow all COVID-19 policies as directed by the Leadership Team.
5. Ability to take initiative, self-manage, and discern the hospitality needs of camp.
6. Ability to communicate with, supervise and work with groups and individuals of varied ages.
7. Computer literacy, including word processing
8. Currently possess or can obtain certifications in the following areas:
· First Aid/CPR
· Lifeguard Training/Instructor
· Other adventure certifications to expand LG programming
· Food Safety
9. Possession of a valid Illinois driver's license or able to obtain an Illinois driver’s
10. Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively as a team member and independently
1. A typical outdoor camp setting with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and varying weather conditions; uneven terrain, woods, and lake.
2. Standing for extended periods of time, bending, reaching, and lifting heavy objects.
3. Eating in a camp setting.
4. Irregular working hours, including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
: This position requires the ability to work as a team member and leader, listen to others, read text and information, and comprehend instructions and manuals. The position requires excellent communication skills, the ability to operate with proficiency all the tools, vehicles, and appliances, and the physical ability to move about the camp property in various environmental conditions. The position also requires the ability to lift heavy objects and stand on your feet for extended periods of time.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards and expectations of the position. The incumbent will follow any other instructions, and perform any related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time and will provide reasonable notice of any such change. The job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to individuals with disabilities.