Information on Afghan refugee resettlement
UMCOR is prepared to assist with refugee resettlement through its partnership with Church World Service and is currently in conversation about assisting Church World Service with temporary housing for Afghan refugees. Those interested in supporting the UMCOR-CWS partnership can make gifts online at https://umcmission.org/advance-project/3022144 or by checks sent to Global Ministries/UMCOR, P.O. Box 9068, New York, NY 10087-9068, with Advance #3022144 in the memo line.
If you are interested in connecting directly with Church World Service. Here are some of the key ways community members can be involved in welcoming refugees:
Download "How Community Members Can Help"
Download "Welcoming Afghans"
Read related United Methodist News Story
- Check out the CWS Welcome Afghans landing page
- Visit the CWS Learn page to learn more about what has been happening in Afghanistan and watch the Welcoming Afghans webinar which was recorded on Aug. 30.
- Visit the CWS Community Engagement Webpage where you can find helpful resources and past Lunch and Learn recordings to continue to learn about issues facing displaced people. You can also download a PDF of its community sponsorship manual from that page as well to share with congregations.
- Check out our monthly Immigration and Refugee Community Engagement Newsletter.
- Give financially to assist Afghans as they resettle to their new communities. Please encourage congregations to make financial gifts at this link. If they have questions about donations feel free to connect them to me.